Friday, October 1, 2010

Unpleasantly Surprised.

3 months ago I was playing soccer in a co-ed rec league in Kaysville. I was lazily dribbling down the middle of the field and I decided I'd try and cut around a defender. As I cut the ball across my body and tried to change direction, I heard the infamous "pop" and went down on the turf. It was a really bizarre feeling. Not the most painful thing I'd ever experienced but, I just had this feeling in my gut that it was substantial somehow and it kinda shook me up.

We had back to back games and not enough girls on our team, so my team was less concerned about my knee and more concerned about our lack of subs. So after a couple phone calls to #1 my dad, #2 my little brother (to bring me a knee brace) and #3 my physical therapist...I let them talk me into going back in for our next game.

....30 seconds later, I got laid out by a girl half my size and I knew I couldn't finish the game. I hobbled off the field and watched the rest of the game from the stands with my friend Kendon and an icebag on my knee. The physical therapist calmed all my fears and ruled out an ACL injury, claiming I had an "end feel" (whatever that means...) He said it was most likely a torn meniscus that would heal itself in time.

Fast forward a couple months to Logan, Utah and the beginning of another fall semester season of intramurals (..all I have to look forward to now in my soccer career) I was SO excited to play again! I was a little concerned about how my knee would hold up, but, not wanting to look like a weenie in front of my friends, I threw on a brace and ran on the field.

....30 seconds later I get laid out by a girl half my size, AGAIN. My knee locked up, and hurt so bad I couldn't even walk off the field---I just rolled my body across the sideline and waited for Doug to run to my rescue. I decided it was finally time to go to the doctor and the verdict is in:
Torn ACL and lateral tear in my meniscus.

I kept a stiff upper lip while the doctor gave me my diagnosis and explained my options..but as soon as I made it to my car I bawled like a baby. I cried the whole way home. I'm nervous and scared for surgery.
I took my laptop to class and watched youtubes of different ACL reconstructions all day long. See for yourself, here's what I'll be getting for Christmas this year...(watch it with the sound off)

4 comments:

cole linnae said...

i tried to watch it. twenty seconds in i got queezy and the lower half of my body started to go numb out of queez.

i'm so sorry. i will bring you anything you need.

MissyJEE said...

i refuse, i am already feeling nauseous on this day. but i'm supa sorry, that stiiinks.
but you, are great. i love you. :)

Anonymous said...

holy shiz. is that really going to happen to you. may the ancestors protect you

Christy said...

I know right!?

A wise medical anatomy student once told me that surgeries arent nearly as sophisticated as you would imagine and they just hack at you with modified garden tools...fast becoming a reality for me. eeeek.