Friday, November 4, 2011

Mucky Mucks.

My dear friend asked me if I would go to a luncheon with him after his board of trustees meeting today... So I was thinking like, "...blah blah..meetings...blah blah...important people....blah blah.. fancy *free* luncheon...sounds awesome."
Yes please. 

I just got home from said luncheon. Yikes, I was so out of my element. 

We drove over to the Dean of Utah State's immaculate second mansion, and sat at a beautifully set table under a sparkling chandelier, whilst some asian piano master tickled the ivories and delighted our ears with his angelic melodies. No joke. As we ate, I looked around and realized I was rubbing shoulders with some of the most powerful, influential, amazing men and women in our community. These guys were all CEO's and Provosts and Executive This or That's..

Wanna know what surprised me the most about them? Almost every single one of them (and their wives) took time throughout this luncheon to seek me out and approach me, ask my name and get to know me. Me. The one single person at the whole luncheon who had absolutely no right to even be there. What the heck?

It really made me reflect about what it takes to make a good leader or a person of influence in this life. So here's my two cents blogworld.

  • It doesn't require any special background or qualifications to be instrumental to a community or society. It takes drive and determination. And it takes character. That's it. Anybody can decide to be a person of character. I want to be a person of character.
  • The best leaders, have great vision and great ambition, but the key to reaching those far off goals is to pay attention to the one. This thought has been on my mind a lot lately and it really just got driven home today with this experience. Individuals matter. Relationships matter. Pay attention to those two things and before you know it, you're in some meeting sharing your ideas and moving metaphorical mountains.
So anyway, brb I'm just gonna go conquer the world.

No comments: