Friday, December 9, 2011

This semester at USU..

Interviewing & Counseling with Dr. Barcus 
  • Dr. Barcus grew up on an Indian Reservation in Montana--so naturally, she also has a native american alias. She is known to all her native american compadres as, Bear Woman. (picture the cutest little old lady..like 90 something) Hilarious. Bear Woman.  Cute-little-old-lady-Bear-Woman said the F word approximately, ohh 30 times this semester. It shocked me all. 30. times. 
  • She specialized in counseling for rape and sexual assault victims. Her age seemed like it was gonna be a realll setback the day she couldn't figure out how to use the doc-cam for 20 minutes and rolled out an overhead projector, but it was fascinating to hear about all the experiences she'd had over the course of her life. Twice in her class I straight up started crying as she relayed stories of her past clients. 
  • I don't want to be a professional counselor, but I think the communication skills I learned in this class will benefit every interpersonal relationship I will have for the rest of my life. Being a good listener takes some effort. Who knew? Here's somethings she talked about this semester that stayed with me..
    • "You can never change with words what someone learned through experience"
    • A counselor's job is not to fix people, it is to help them discover what they want and how to get there.
    • Dr. Barcus said she had two goals for every client that walked through her door, 1) to be able to have responsibility in their life 2) to be able to have intimacy..to have worthwhile relationships that bring life meaning.
Natural Disasters with Blair Larsen
  • Holy cow this class was misery. The lecturer was just kind of a dud..She did just what was required of her and nothing more. She had no passion for the subject material or for how what she was teaching would benefit her students. We had a guest speaker a couple weeks ago and it was the highlight of the semester having him come in and talk about Global Warming. 
  • I'm honestly having trouble remembering something that stood out to me...
  • Oh! I know, get this, a hurricane weighs more than 365 whales. And you can take that to the bank. Thanks Blair!
 Educational Psychology for Teachers with Carrie Madden
  • This night class was just once a week. Monday nights. I had the hardest time remembering it..Ha, but it didn't matter because it was painfully easy. Again, I was disappointed in the teacher for not having a bit more passion and investment in her students--I find this subject matter FASCINATING! But somehow she put me right to sleep every Monday night. 
  • I learned....um....what NOT to do when I am a teacher someday. Thanks Carrie! 
Consumer Health with Donna Gordon and Adolescence with Camille Odell
  • These last two classes I took online, and what I learned was, if you take an online class, its like paying for an A. You do zero work and the tests are a breeze. But that is one expensive A...
Institute
  • God requires things of us. We can't be saved just because..I don't how how some people contend so strongly against this. It seems like such a plain and simple truth to me.
  • There is such a thing as absolute truth. There is right and wrong. No matter what Lady Gaga says..
  • I love the scriptures..? I don't know if I've ever been able to say that so honestly in my life. Ha, I have never been as dedicated and diligent in my scripture study as I have this semester and it really has made a difference. I look forward to my time in the scriptures instead of just doing it out of a desire to be obedient. Huh. Whaddyaknow.
So there ya go...another semester down, feels like forever still to go..
I did some other awesome stuff this semester but I'll have to blog about that later because I'm tired and I'm sure you're probably tuckered out too from all my ramblings..back to studying for finals..sigh.

PeaceN'Blessins.

3 comments:

cole linnae said...

BBBbEEaAARRrRrRRRRR woman

Summer said...

I took that ed. psych class last spring and yah it was a bigtime bummer. I spent 90% of it on my laptop not listening or just ditched out on it.

Tyson & Rachel said...

Educational Psychology... Amen. Blair... I took her "Planet Earth" class last year...I did crossword puzzles everyday. I could never get over the fact that she looks like Bonnie Hunt stuck in the 90s. Like if Bonnie Hunt had spent her whole life filming Beethoven movies. No? Maybe it's just me.

And "There is a right and wrong. No matter what Lady Gaga says." You are awesome.